Saturday, November 6, 2010

Real meat, Real smoke, Real sausage

This may possibly be too much food
My weakness, when cooking, is adding too many things to the entreƩ.

The hungrier I am, the more I think about putting stuff on the stove.

Look at this mess! The photograph doesn't do it justice, because photos are two-dimensional. It's hard to get the Himalayan-esque perspective on this heap of potatoes.

I used three small potatoes. Just for me.  If I had four potatoes, I would have used four.

But I didn't have four potatoes. I did, however, have a ripe plantain. So i threw that in, too. I am sure that at some point, Jiminy Cricket chirped in and said, "What are you doing?!"
"I can't look!" Jiminy Cricket

The potatoes: I boiled water with salt and hot sauce (your choice). Once the water was boiling, I added chopped potatoes and chopped poblano. Ground in some pepper and sprinkled in some dried basil. A little more salt.

The plantain was sliced and grilled separately on a grill that shared space with Kiolbassa Beef & Cheddar Smoked Sausage - "Real Meat, Real Smoke, Real Sausage."

See the made in Texas logo? "Go Texan" - most anything made in Texas has that logo somewhere on the packaging. I like to split the sausage sideways. That bleeds out more of the grease. Since it's sprinkled with cheddar cheese, a little cheese melts and burns into the grill, but there's plenty of grease so it doesn't stick too hard. Clean-up's simple enough.

Not yet available in Florida  :(




When I piled all the food on the plate, I told myself, I'll eat it until I'm full and put the rest away. That seems to work in the restaurant.

I ate the whole thing.

I took a break from sausage meals for four days. Last night I decided to have another serving of this same sausage.

Fortunately, I was clean out of potatoes. And I was out of plantains.
But I had boiled up a bunch of red beans in a crock pot the night before. I was going for something a lot simpler. I was trying to be a purist. Sausage and beans with a beer. The red beans were just cooked with salt and a few pork rinds. I grilled two sausage links and  laid them over a serving of re-heated red beans.

I chopped up fresh cold onions and sliced off a small block of cotija cheese and liberally sprinkled that on top. It doesn't show up in the picture, but I had this with one slice of toasted multi-grain bread.

Simple. Tasty. Texan.
Texas beef sausage and red beans

Buen provecho!

No comments:

Post a Comment