Sunday, June 26, 2011

Turkey chorizo: is the healthiest choice tasty?

I'm not a fan of some of the things that people try to do with turkey meat, but I have to admit (and I'm paraphrasing Elle Woods here) "it is not altogether unfortunate tasting."

Andy Garcia Foods, a San Antonio chorizo factory mentioned here previously, came up with Mama Garcia's Turkey Chorizo some time ago. My first and most natural reaction to seeing it on the meat shelf was probably, "Oh, hell no."

In the interest of science, however, I picked up a tube of turkey chorizo and consumed the contents over the course of three breakfast meals.

I've given a number of very similar versions of my hueves-con-chorizo breakfast recipes to the point of ad nauseum, but, again, in the interest of science, I have to maintain some baseline, so as to compare this chorizo to other egg-and-chorizo breakfasts.

Going with the usual ingredients: two eggs, chopped onion, tomato and hot pepper.

So, other than the turkey, what's different about this chorizo?

Well, I'll tell you! First, when you squeeze it out of the casing it is thoroughly consistent in density, or more accurately the lack of density. It doesn't have clumps of meat and fat like all other chorizos. It comes out, to put it politely, like toothpaste. Other images may come to mind, but let's not dwell, let's not!

Turkey, compared to any sausage I've ever tried, is kind of bland. I suspected, therefore, that this would be bland, too. So, I did something I never ever do when I cook with chorizo and I added a little salt while it was grilling.

I also grilled the vegetables at the same time. Chorizo only needs a few minutes to cook through. I stirred occasionally and added the egg last as usual.

It turned out adding the salt was a good idea. Once the meal was on the plate, it was tasting pretty good, but just a little short on salt (to my taste, and I'm usually more conservative with salt than most).

I'm not going to do the math, but here is a link to Mama Garcia's Turkey Chorizo nutrition facts. Lower in fat, blah, blah, blah. (Not something I worry about much, although perhaps I should, but there's plenty of folks out there that do).

All in all, it's a pretty good substitute for a pork chorizo. Put it this way, compared to a Mac Dee McNugget, you'll be way ahead.

P.S. -- The side with this is a bean mix of three-quarters pinto bean boiled in a ham seasoning with chopped chipotle and one-quarter cow peas.

It is a dah-yum good bean side for this or any number of meals. I've also had it with melted cotija cheese bits and guacamole for dinner tacos.

Buen provecho!

No comments:

Post a Comment