Thursday, August 18, 2011

Palacios from Spain: OMG! This is so good.

I'm not often pleasantly surprised with sausages that I don't buy from Texas or Mexico, but I have to say this Palacios Chorizo Picante is 'oh my God' good.

I found a 7.9-ounce Palacios sausage at a Publix grocery in downtown Fort Lauderdale. I'd never seen it before and I was curious, so I tossed it in the cart and kept moving.

This is an import. It comes from La Rioja, Spain. That's a rural area to the far north that really isn't close to anything people here might have heard of except for maybe Pamplona. Yes? No?

The ingredients are about as simple as sausage ingredients get: pork, paprika, salt, garlic. It says it's all natural and has no preservatives; I guess salt as a preservative doesn't count in Spain?

Whatever. Did I mention I really liked this sausage? I mean really. This simple recipe is to perfection. Just the right amount of everything. I would totally buy this one again. It says it's "hot" but I didn't find that to be the case.

On the other hand, I paired it with a homemade guacamole that had some spicy poblano pepper as an ingredient, so that might have masked its heat. But I don't think so! Not that I'm holding that against it, obviously.

This meal! It turned out really well. I'd rank it in my Top 10 of all the meals I've blogged about to date. And it's so simple! Let's start with cooking a pot of brown rice. That will take 45 minutes to boil, so don't even bother starting the protein portion of your entree until you've had the rice cooking for about 30 minutes.

But here is what you can do in the meantime. Take a quarter section of a Florida avocado (those big light green ones), and a quarter section of an average size tomato, and about a third-cup's worth of fresh onion, a tablespoon-sized section of poblano pepper and a thin slice (less than quarter-inch thick) section of lime.

Put all this in a blender, except for the lime section; just squeeze the juice out of that into the blender. Add about four good shakes of salt, put the lid on and blend. Now put your guacamole in the fridge.

Here's the Incredible Trio: a two-inch length of Palacios sausage, one egg and two healthy looking scallions.

By the way, these proportions are a meal for one. Double the quantity if you're inviting company.

Heat a sauce pan. Put your section of sausage on a cutting board and dice it up fine (almost to pea size bits).

Now that your sauce pan is warming, pour in about a third-cup water and a slice pat of butter and then toss in the sausage and get it to diffuse its grease and reddish coloring (paprika) into the water-butter mix.

Quickly chop up the scallion. Just as the water boils, toss in the scallion and stir a bit. Do not let your fluids dry out, make sure that heat is medium.

You want just enough grease and moisture to crack in the egg, so it doesn't stick. Toss the yolk or don't, depending on your taste and health concerns. Stir until the egg is no longer watery.

I served the rice on the bottom from center to one edge, and layered the chorizo-egg-scallion over the rice.

Guacamole is on the side. I had mine with a porter beer, but I could see going with a red wine or sangria or just a fruit flavored water.

What do you think? Come on! You've gotta try it.

Buen provecho!


No comments:

Post a Comment