Sunday, March 4, 2012

Uncle John's Pride: country style sausages from Tampa

Some Florida grocers carry select items in the Uncle John's Pride product line.
I haven't found a better sausage plant based in Florida. And outside of a few regional shops that sell only to customers in their neighborhood, I suspect there isn't one.

Uncle John's Pride comes from Crofton and Sons Inc. in Tampa, Fl. This is also home to the Bean Brothers, L & D Meats, and the Peppino's Fresh Sausage brands - none of which I have tried, yet.

The Crofton family has been making Uncle John's Pride for over 30 year. In 1994, Bean Bros. merged with Crofton and Sons, bringing into the company a brand that had been made since 1922 from an old Tennessee family recipe.

Uncle John's Pride is a hickory smoked pork sausage that comes in mild, hot, and jalapeno. The Croftons also offer smoked pork tails, neck bones, hocks, and smoked turkey wings and drumsticks.

I don't know of any grocer, however, that carries their full product line. Publix will carry some of them.

I purchased a Mild Country sausage, and  it turned out to be a fairly good buy. The ground pork appears to be extruded finer than Texas-style sausages, which are generally chunkier. But it's not as fine or homogenous as, say, a hotdog. They've settled somewhere in the middle where the meat still has a slightly coarse texture, but it is more tender when chewed.

There are two simple meals shown here. One is a sampler-style dinner plate of baked beans with lightly grilled sections of sausage, and very lightly grilled sections of sweet red pepper and yellow onion.

I'm a fan of grilled onion, but if you're not, switch that out with some other veggie. There's no bread or rice with this. I figured the baked beans have more than enough carbs as it is.

The second plate is a breakfast plate that uses the sausage as a traditional meat side to the main entree, a serving of pancakes. These pancakes have an unusual color and texture because I added graded carrot to the batter.

It's topped with nectar from the agave, a healthy substitute for honey from bees.

The mild hickory smoked sausage really does make an excellent breakfast sausage. We usually get served breakfast patty sausages that have a strong (I would say overpowering) sage flavor. I do recommend you give it a try, if it is available in your area.


Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. I just found this blog looking for a review on chorizo. I love the photos of plates of food.

    I have a blog about canned meats and will probably be reviewing Libby's Vienna sausages soon.

    Ciao,
    Karl

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a nice blog and it is well written. I am familiar with Tampa and Uncle John's Pride. It is a mediocre sausage at best with a smoke flavor that overpowers the pork. The best tasting smoked sausage in Tampa Bay and Orlando I think is Sunset Farm smoked sausages. They are sold in many independent markets as "Georgia Sausage" and are now at Save a Lot. They seem to be growing strongly. I have tried their Mild, Hot, JalapeƱo, Cracked Pepper, and Red Hots. Nettles is real good from north Florida and so is Fason's. Remember the name: SUNSET FARM BRAND SAUSAGES!!
    www.sunsetfarmfoods.com
    www.sausage1.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is no other sausage with this unique texture and taste. Truly unique. Lets take Uncle John across the country!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought the smoked legs turkey - super tough n chewy ! They are doing it wrong.. Dinner sucked !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always thought the original bean brothers
    Sausage was on of the best I ever had. Then they made a low fat version for my uncle with heart problems. Bean Brothers was a great sausage. Sorry the times have changed with new ownership.

    ReplyDelete