Saturday, January 22, 2011

Say it isn't Chorty so!

I opened the fridge the other day and I found myself down to my last link of Chorty chorizo.

Frown! Well, I knew this day was coming. I only brought one package of APCO's Chorty from San Antonio over the Christmas holidays.

I wanted refried beans with my breakfast, but I didn't have any. I did however have the remains of some red and pinto bean soup. It had settled, so I poured out some water and chopped some cabbage and chilaca pepper. I know! (No cabbage in refried beans!)

Listen, (shaking the knife at my conscience), you make yours without cabbage. I like my greens.

Once we get past the orthodoxy of proper refried beans, here's what happened. Pat of butter goes in the pan and stir in some watery beans and chopped cabbage. Add a little salt and ground black pepper.

On a separate skillet, I'm cooking Chorty on low heat, adding butter and stirring in eggs with a little bit of chopped onion.

I bring out my sacred supply of homemade chili petin and Asian pepper salsa and dribble a little on top of the Chorty and eggs AFTER I transfer it to the plate.

Meanwhile, the water has been evaporating from the beans and I'm getting it to the proper pasty consistency of refried beans (with cabbage!).

Heat up tortillas while the other items are cooking. So, other than the coffee brewing, you've got three fires going. And this is the result:

There's a little garnishing going on here. I had some fresh chopped tomato on the side and a crumbly Mexican cheese (cotija) sprinkled over the beans.

Buen provecho!

No comments:

Post a Comment