Monday, October 25, 2010

As in comedy, timing helps

Other than eggs, the most common ingredient a Mexican chorizo gets paired with is the potato. I don't know how long this has been going on, but the potato originated in Peru and Spaniards brought chorizo from Spain.

 Yeah, it's been awhile.

I've seen papa con chorizo (potato and sausage) tacos on the menu in taquerìas since forever. I was never a big fan. I just have to have another vegetable in that taco. And egg. Yeah, I need egg.

Okay, before this turns into the scene from The Jerk where Navin R. Johnson (Steve Martin) can't stop grabbing stuff as he is cast out from his mansion, I'll get to the point.

Since ingredients cook at different speeds under the same heat, you don't just throw all your ingredients onto the skillet at the same time. First, heat the skillet. It takes awhile for it to get hot enough to use. And pour in vegetable oil.

I usually cook with butter, but veggie oil works better with potatoes. Now chop what you're going to use, and in this case that's potato, poblano pepper and onion.

Peak at the picture. It's allowed.

The potatoes are nearest the skillet because they're going in first. It takes them a little longer to cook through. About a minute after you turn them over once, toss in the poblano. And a minute later, in goes the onion.

 The chorizo goes next and that you'll slowly skate around in the hot oil for no more than two minutes. The final ingredient is the eggs. Scramble them in and scramble them with the other ingredients.

From the time you started to the time you move it all to a plate, you shouldn't have let more than eight minutes pass. That will leave it at just the right moisture (yes, you can dry it out leaving it on the fire longer but why. WHY?!).

About the time you moved in the chorizo, you should've started juggling corn tortillas over a second heat source. That way everything is ready at the same time.

Timing!

Of course it tastes great!   



Oh, I had an extra picture which has nothing whatsoever to do with this. Doesn't have anything to do with chorizo or sausage, either. But this is what I fixed up for dinner:

This is something like a hearty beef with peas and carrots, married to cooked plantain and chopped poblano pepper. Nothing sweet here. The plantain had just turned yellow so it was more like the poe-tah-toe it gets passed for in some cultures. I grilled it with poblano, skating them together in the skillet to give it a slight heat and peppery feel. That was the easy part.

What's on the left, I wouldn't have bothered trying to make in one night but I had leftovers. I had leftover beef tongue that had cooked in a crock pot and leftover molé from a chicken molé meal I'd had a ways back.

Making molé (I don't do it from scratch) involves emptying a glass of store-bought molé into a pot with the requisite amount of water and stirring under heat until all the lumps are gone. And beef tongue in a crock pot, that's kind of an all-day thing.

Molé is a Mexican rue, a kind of gravy that has in its ingredients bitter chocolate and ground ancho, among other things. I used it for my stock, along with a little juice that came from the beef tongue.

Peas and carrots came from the frozen food section of El Bodegòn, a really decent Mexican grocery in West Palm Beach.

Hey! If you can sell me lengua, I'll buy your peas and carrots. That's how it works.

Besides, the Michelob Amber Bock was on special.

No comments:

Post a Comment