Friday, October 22, 2010

Making a plantain compromise

Look at this dish. Nice presentation? I was a fine arts student for awhile, thank you for noticing.

All beef smoked sausage with plantain on rice
 It looks good, but how does it taste? Well, turns out it's missing an ingredient. The dash of Cholula Hot Sauce comes later.

Plantains are ubiquitous in Florida. They compete very well with the potato here. The plantain pile in the grocery is serious - serious as in there's a potential for an avalanche.

It is an option to the potato in fast food franchises, at Cuban and Jamaican cafes. We have plantains in Texas, too, but they don't go over quite so big along the San Antonio River.

I like plantains, but you have to be careful about choosing when to cook them. If they're still kind of green, it tastes like a potato with a hint of banana, and that's great if that's what you want. I like to let them go yellow and bring out more of their sweetness. Trouble is, that sweetness can overpower the rest of the plate.

So, keeping that in mind, I started with a leftover pot of white rice and broccoli. Nothing complicated there, I just boiled rice with chopped broccoli and a dash of salt.

I took out one link of Kiolbassa all Beef Smoked Sausage, sliced it into quarter-shaped sections. I took half of a plantain and sliced it the same way. A little butter on the skillet and it's time to grill the plantain next to the sausage, keeping my heat low. I wanted to make sure the plantain cooked through without scorching the sections.

I heated the rice and broccoli in the microwave and spread it on a plate. Artfully laid out the plantain and sausage in a circular pattern. I then cut a small block of Mexican cotija cheese and crumbled it all over the plate.

The saltiness of the dish is in the sausage and cotija cheese. The plantain fills out the palate, so you have strong flavors in competition. But do they blend together well?

I proceeded to sit down and try it out. It was ok, but ...

That sweetness of the plantain, it kind of takes over. So I got the Cholula, spinkled it all over and tried the dish again. That hit the spot. Imagine a spicy sweet sauce in a Chinese entree. This has a similar effect.

The hot sauce on sweet plantain helps blend it into the rest of the meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment