Friday, October 22, 2010

Kiolbassa chorizo: more Tex than Mex


The Kiolbassa website had this picture of a chorizo and cheese dip along with the recipe. Not the first impression I have when I think of a Mexican chorizo, but that seems to be their point. They're leaning toward the Tex in Tex-Mex with this product.

When I think of an authentic Mexican chorizo, I think of something that squeezes easily out of its link casing because it's so greasy. When you put it on the skillet, you get a substantial pool of red-brown grease that makes me think, "This is probably the closest I'm ever going to get to actually consuming motor oil."

And there is noticeable reduction in the meaty portion. As Mexican chorizo cooks, the chorizo shrinks and goes to a darker brown. By the way, don't keep chorizo on the heat too long, it doesn't take much to burn it.

The first time I tried Kiolbassa chorizo was when Arthur sent me a care package. My first thought was, "Kiolbassa makes chorizo?!" Well, I've always known them for their Polish style sausages.

I did what I always do with a chorizo link. I snipped one end and started to squeeze it out of the casing. That wasn't working too well for me and that was my first clue this isn't grandma's chorizo.

There is less fat content in Kiolbassa chorizo. It's not lean, but definitely less fat. So the meat sticks to the casing. I ended up having to slice the link length-wise with a knife and carefully peeling and scraping the contents out.

Once I cooked and tasted the chorizo, I noticed it wasn't as heavy on the spices. Most chorizos really lay on the paprika and other seasonings. This one was more subtle, which I think can be a good thing because if the spices aren't overwhelming and you want to experiment, it's easier to add ingredients without getting into a battle royal when it comes to overcoming the paprika.

My first meal preparation with Kiolbassa chorizo was more traditional. (I'm really not into cheese dip anything). I greased the skillet with butter. You don't need the butter for the chorizo, you need it for the other things you add. And in this case, I grilled chopped onion and stirred in two eggs.

Huevos con chorizo (eggs with sausage), is an old Mexican favorite for tacos. It's considered a breakfast taco, but I'll eat those things anytime.

The white corn tortillas get grilled separately. I put a little butter on a comal (a small skillet) and heat several on each side until they have a few brown freckles. Anyone who thinks you just put corn tortillas in a microwave is asking for trouble. Do it my way; soft tacos are the preferred Mexican food wrap, but there's soft and then there's the Brand X paper towel soft that falls apart and you end like Mr. Bill at the table getting sabotaged by Sluggo: "Oh nooooo!"

Once the chorizo, egg and onion get mixed together and cooked (I recommend eggs go in last and are cooked just long enough to turn egg whites white), you can add fresh chopped tomatoes. Maybe even some fresh avocado; it doesn't have to be guacamole.

One thing I love about chorizo is it's usually spicy enough that I never add salt. One less thing to think about.

I ended up with great tacos, with a chorizo that was subtle but tasty. A rule of thumb with Mexican chorizo is a little gives a lot of flavor, so your ratio of chorizo to eggs and other fixings tends to be modest. Also, you don't get all the grease out of regular chorizo.

Once it's in the taco, the grease drips, maybe even pours out, when you handle it. If you're not careful, it can easily run down your wrist and stain your sleeve!

You avoid all that with Kiolbassa chorizo. Maybe they should call it the no-drip chorizo?

For you Floridians, there's hope! I'm told Kiolbassa chorizo is available in Walmart Supercenters in Florida. That would make it Kiolbassa's first entry into the Sunshine State. I haven't been in a Walmart Supercenter here, yet. I'm curious to see who its neighbors are in the meat section.

Kiolbassa Chorizo and onion grilling on the skillet 



 Chorizo and egg with grilled onion and fresh chopped tomato on the plate, white corn tortillas on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment