Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The force of G-cubed: Gorditas, Grease and Garlic

Not being Nicaraguan, and being too lazy to research their food, I picked up a package of Murciana Brand Chorizo Nica and guess-timated how it should be prepared.


Again, there's no link. Murciana Brand leads me to a web domain page. They never bothered. What is it with Floridian sausage shops and this aversion with the Internet? The packaging says it comes from Opa-locka, which is in Miami-Dade County.

Arepas are big in Florida. The arepa is something like the Mexican gordita, a corn meal-based patty that is stuffed with fixins. But the arepas of Florida originate from Cuba, Columbia and Venezuela and they're grilled and they're straight-up cornmeal.

A gordita is made with masa harina. It's just a fat tortilla. And it's either deep fried, pan fried or just heated dry on a comal. And the only time you stuff it with something is if you deep fry it, because that's the only way to puff it out enough to split it open and stuff something in.

For this meal, I'm pan-frying these babies.

Here is a row of raw masa gorditas on their way to the hot oil. A couple of these are going to end up at the bottom of my dinner dish, covered with some Nicaraguan sausage, egg, sliced poblano pepper, garlic and cotija cheese.

Ever once in awhile, I want to lay on the garlic heavy. I chopped a clove and grilled it in with the poblano and chorizo.

This chorizo is more like Kiolbassa Chorizo in that it can take the heat. I left in for awhile and it didn't shrink or burn. I wanted to see how much heat it could handle and it held up nice.

I was serving for one, so I used two links and one egg. Once the spatula had passed the meal to the plate, heaping my grease, garlic and company atop the gorditas, I crumbled on a generous serving of fresh, cold cotija cheese.

Add no salt. You don't need it. Doesn't need anything else. You get a little heat from the poblano strips, but not much. The sausage, garlic and cotija bring all the seasoning and aroma this meal needs. By the way, this is a good sausage. Now if they could just crank up a useful website.


Buen provecho.

No comments:

Post a Comment